Over the last three years, Tom and I have rescued three kids from being washed out in rip tides. The scary part was their parents never knew it happened.
If you think you can out swim one, well maybe you can. The reality is probably not and children are easily over powered by rip currents. The issues seems to be they feel protected while holding on to a boogy board, they are not. Or they know how to swim. Ocean swimming is completely different animal.
1. Always keep an eye on your children. Know where they are at all times.
2. Boogy boards are unsafe insurance.
3. If you're not from around here and don't know what a rip tide/current looks like, as a local. Hit up the guy/gal on that red ATV doing beach patrol.
4. There are NO lifeguards at Sunset Beach or Ocean Isle Beach.
5. Take two minutes and read the posted sign at SB boardwalks about rip tides.
More about Rip Tides: Rip Tide Dangers
Have a safe vacation at our beach.
Want to learn to how to surf and water safety, call Tom, upper right corner of this page.